Monday, February 6, 2012 | By: Unknown

The Hunger Games

I was recommended by a younger co-worker to read this series. As I am reading, over 10 chapters into the first book, I realize that what is now seen as Young Adult/Teen has become more adult.

Yeah! Makes the reading more mature and well, the odd YA books I have written are somewhat acceptable.

But, here is my thing. We have books like To Kill a Mockingbird and even Harry Potter being banned, yet the idea of murdering other people as a game is fine. The world of literature is still confusing.

I have friends that try to give advice on how to become writers, famous and write something original. To me, this is all wrong. Every writer is influenced by something and takes a part of its influence and writes it into the book. It’s just the way it is.

There are some hints of what The Hunger Games is influenced by, but it does not harm the book; it improves it.

What I also fear is that people that are writing and want to get published are now going to copy from this book, just like the Twilight phase.

Books in a similar genre survive and will do fairly well. Books that are directly related/similar do not do so well. Why read a book about a book that already exists?

Well, back to reading I go. I am awaiting the phenomenon of what is going to arrive in my little self-publishing website after the movie is out. If anyone else knows of other books that try to copy popular series let me know.

As for my writers opinion, I still plan not to copy any books. Maybe an aspect, or a name, but nothing more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment