Monday, August 15, 2011 | By: Unknown

Megan, where did the idea [insert something graphic, perverse, or both] come from?

Oh, how I have been asked this question many of times.

Recently, the hubby asked me one about 1440. My response: “I don’t know. I was 17. I just wanted something that would terrify and be graphic.”

To be honest, I have no idea where the ideas originate, but they are there, in my mind. Reassuring, isn’t it?

Not all my books are entirely graphic, perverse or both. A nice simple blend works. 1440 was an exception. It may or may not be the only one though.

Writing is my hobby, and if I don’t make it challenging or interesting, its going to be boring. So, yes, I do think of some horrific ideas. The new one is about the use of abilities to control people. What person does not fear being controlled? Yes, I plan to include bloodshed. It would not be a novel written by me, Megan Held, if I did not include bloodshed.

I was raised, and taught by some amazing teachers, to read books that have been banned or are controversial. I guess that helps influence my ideas.

Yes, I may be pulling at strings here, but honestly, I have no clue where the most twisted ideas come from.

Am I sadistic? Maybe.

Am I a psychopath? I don’t think so, I like to write about them.

Am I sociopath? No.

All right, so I have to look back. Hmmm….where did my ideas come from?

Every time I get asked this, I wish I had an answer. ‘I don’t know’ is no longer becoming suitable. Thank goodness I am not professionally published. My PR training would backfire.

My ideas are kind of mystical. I do not know when they occur, why, but I know what to do with them. Sure, some I even question my sanity (been to therapy, I am sane), but I know that if I feel every emotion writing the books it will work.

For those who ask, my ideas come from my mind, my imagination, and my dreams. One day I hope to have an actual answer.

If you object and know where these ideas come from, comment. I am intrigued. Back to writing….ahem…maybe…crap.

0 comments:

Post a Comment